Tuesday, October 23, 2012

My Girls have a Geek for a Daddy

Yep, my baby girls have a geek for a Daddy.  I've always been a geek and always will be a geek.  They'll just have to learn to live with it.  :-)  Here's a perfect example of my geekiness, and thriftiness.  The other day at the grocery store I had two items on my list, milk and toilet paper.  A weird combo, I know.  I think my wife is always worried when I head to the store to buy toilet paper.  I have a tendency to buy the cheapest brand, which is usually the crappy store brand.  I was told a couple of years ago, in no uncertain terms, that I was only to buy toilet paper brands on my wife's approved list.  I guess that since I live with three girls and am the only man in the house, that I'll just have to concede this to them.  :-)

So on my latest toilet paper shopping trip I took a look at the approved toilet paper brands, pulled out my phone, and started pricing them out per square of TP.  One brand sold packages of 12 rolls and 24 rolls.  It's often that the bigger package is cheaper, but not in this case.  The price per square of the 12 roll package was cheaper than the 24 package.  Also different brands have a different number of squares in a roll, so I had to factor that into my calculation.

While I was doing this, one of my co-workers and friends strolls down the aisle and starts laughing at me.  The nerve!  Actually, I can imagine that a bystander would find this somewhat funny!  :-)  I wasn't embarrassed though.  I was on a mission to find the best bargain.  Eventually I found it.  The first brand I priced came out to $0.0033 per square.  It was the most expensive, but then I found an approved TP priced at $0.0020 per square.  It went straight into the shopping cart.

So this is the geekiness that my daughters have to deal with.  :-)  Actually, I know that once they're more comfortable with math that I'll teach them how to price compare when shopping.  They have no idea what they're in for!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment